- how we collect and use your personal information;
- your right of access to your personal information;
- your right to inspect and, where necessary, correct the personal information that we hold about you;
- your right to have your privacy complaints investigated and resolved; and
- your right to have your personal information protected from misuse or unauthorised access.
What is personal information?
Personal information is any information that can be used to identify you. This includes any personal information or opinions about you, whether true or not, no matter how the information or opinions are recorded. In general on this website, it is usually about your name and/or email address.
Why do we collect personal information?
We want to help you stay informed on the things that matter to you. And we want to help you to participate in the Keep Corporations Honest campaign if you choose to.
What happens if you choose not to provide your personal information?
You do not have to give us your personal information.
But sometimes we will need you to give us some personal information in order to be able to do certain things. For example, if you don’t want us to have your email address, we can’t send you emails to keep you informed about the latest campaign news. Or you may not be able to participate in campaign actions via the website. For example – when we set up things like petitions, or emails to politicians via our website – we need you to put your email address into the form for it to work.
If you do want to get involved without sharing your personal information, we’ll help you find a way. Contact us if you have any questions.
What personal information do we collect and how do we use it?
The personal information that we collect and hold usually fits into the following categories:
- we may collect information about your name, your telephone number and your email address if you send us a message;
- we may collect your name/email address and/or other similar details if you fill out a form on this website;
- when you visit this website, the Campaign or a third party (like the Website Hosting Provider) may collect your IP address, your top level domain name, the date and time of your visit, the pages you access, the previous website you visited and the type of web browser you use.
We only need your personal information to help you stay informed, or help you to participate in the campaign.
We will not share your personal details with anyone outside of the campaign unless we have your permission to.
We’re not interested in being sneaky or unethical with your information. We are interested in supporting our supporters.
How do we collect personal information?
Where possible, we collect your personal information directly from you. However, in some areas of this website, another user of this website might post personal information about you. If this occurs please contact us and we will remove your personal information.
In some situations we collect personal information about you from a third party source. If we collect information about you in this way, we will take reasonable steps to contact you and ensure that you are aware of the purposes for which we are collecting your personal information and the organisations to which we might disclose your information, subject to any exceptions under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth).
Some of the information we collect about you may be sensitive information only where it relates to your political opinions.
When do we disclose your personal information?
We will use and disclose information for the primary purpose for which it was collected. We may also use and disclose personal information for purposes that are related or ancillary to the main reasons we collect it. We may also be required, by law, to disclose personal information to law enforcement officers or other persons.
We never disclose personal information that we collect to third parties for the purpose of allowing them to direct market their products and services.
We may disclose your personal information to companies in the Campaign Edge group. We use third party service providers such as customer support, web-based marketing, courier and print services, IT, web hosting, data storage, back-up and data analysis services.
Access to your personal information
You have a right to access any personal information we hold and may ask us to update or correct your personal information.
We will provide access by allowing you to inspect, take notes of or receive copies or print outs of the personal information that we hold about you. If you have any questions or privacy related complaints, or to obtain access, please make your request in writing to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Our contact details are:
Keep Corporations Honest
Lvl 2 140 Myrtle Street
For security reasons you will be required to put your request in writing and provide proof of your identity. This is necessary to ensure that personal information is provided only to the correct individuals and that the privacy of others is not undermined.
When will access be denied?
Access will be denied if:
- the request does not relate to the personal information of the person making the request;
- providing access would pose a serious and imminent threat to the life or health of a person;
- providing access would create an unreasonable impact on the privacy of others;
- the request is frivolous or vexatious;
- the request relates to existing or anticipated legal proceedings;
- the information is subject to legal professional privilege;
- providing access would prejudice negotiations with the individual making the request;
- access would be unlawful;
- denial of access is authorised or required by law;
- access would prejudice law enforcement activities;
- access discloses a ‘commercially sensitive’ decision making process or information; or
- any other reason that is provided for in the National Privacy Principles or the Privacy Act (1988).
If we deny access to information we will give you our reasons for denying access.
We will take all reasonable steps to provide you with access to the information requested within 14 days of your request. In situations where the request is complicated or requires access to a large volume of information, we will provide access to the information requested within 30 days.
Costs and charges
We may charge you a fee to reimburse us for the costs we incur relating to your request for access to information.
Security of your information
We will take all reasonable steps to secure your personal information. Electronic information is protected by various security measures and access to information and databases is restricted to the staff and contractors of the Campaign that need access to the information in order to perform their duties.
How to contact us
If you need to contact us, or have any questions, please email us at email@example.com or write to us at:
Keep Corporations Honest
Lvl 2 140 Myrtle Street